Small Wind Turbine Blade Additive Manufacturing Intern
How might we inspire the next generation to think more sustainability and find their passions through hands-on learning?
About Green Roof Team LLC
Green Roof Team LLC is a virtual company with a mission to provide educational resources and tools for education around sustainability topics, specifically in the clean energy field. The organization operated on Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s campus from 2019-2022 for designing and installing small wind turbines in connection with their SIU Green Roof. The focus was promoting student involvement on the Green Roof as an interdisciplinary innovation hub for participatory learning. The founding members were trained by Stanford University’s d.school as Agents of Change through Design Thinking principles for improving the student experience. Let’s create change for a better planet.
BASIC FUNCTION, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Green Roof Team is seeking a highly motivated unpaid intern with a passion for bringing awareness to sustainability for inspiring clean energy educational learning. You will assist with researching Design for Additive Manufacturing techniques and applying towards manufacturing small horizontal axis wind turbine in CAD for fused deposition modeling (FDM) 3D printing. You must be interested in a bootstrapped startups. You must be a strong communicator, team player, strong work ethic, and accountable to meeting deadlines. This is an unpaid and remote internship, based in Chicago, Illinois, with the expectation that the intern is available to actively set aside 5-10 hours per week, but work on a task basis. The Internship Program features working in a startup environment; Workshops hosted by the company’s Managers on various innovative and fundamental topics ranging from Design Thinking, Project Management, Servant Leadership, etc.; in-house LMS certificate programs; and projects to contribute towards the existing and new products developed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research and design experiments according to the ASTM D638 standard for performing the tensile test for varying print settings such as infill, wall thickness, etc.
- Prepare HAWT Blades for additive manufacturing and improving the manufacturability through the print settings.
- Iterate the blade's design with DfAM principles.
- Optional: Researching print failures for preventative maintenance.
- Optional: Performing a FEA study to predict potential design issues and therefore minimize risks.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Interest in Airfoil and WT Blade Design Program
- Proficiency on CAD Software (preferred FreeCAD); Finite Element Analysis software (preferred FreeCAD); Product Data Management (preferred GrabCAD); Google Suite
- Outstanding organization skills and attention to detail oriented.
- Ability to work in a fluid, sometimes ambiguous, startup environment.
- Willingness to take initiative and do what it takes to meet your own deadlines (the most important).
How To Apply
Interested candidates should
· Current enrollment in a college program pursuing a BA/BS degree in a related field.
· Apply by completing the following form: https://bit.ly/GRT-Applicants
· No phone inquiries please.
Green Roof Team LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and support an inclusive environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Green Roof Team offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities.
All correspondence will remain confidential.